Facilitator: Sonita Pobi, Barnardos
Group B/C: FGM Awareness
The Tomlinson Centre
Queensbridge Road, London E8 3ND
Wednesday 5th December 2018
09:15 – 16:30
Aim of the course
To enhance the understanding and skills of all professionals to act appropriately and confidently to protect and support girls who are at risk or have been subjected to FGM.
This training is designed with the needs of all professionals working with girls and their families in mind. It explores the roles and responsibilities of different professionals and the processes for handling cases of FGM.
The training will also explore the mandatory reporting duty as it applies in England, Northern Ireland and Wales for teachers, health professionals and social workers, and can focus on the laws that apply in Scotland with regards to FGM.
By the end of the training participants will:
- have gained a greater understanding about what FGM, reasons for the practice, prevalence and the impact on girls’ and women’s lives.
- understand how to respond to cases according to national guidance, London child protection procedures and local LSCB procedures.
- be aware of key legislation and statutory guidance that determines their personal safeguarding role.
- understand the process for requesting an FGM Protection Order in England, Northern Ireland and Wales.
- be clear about the role of key services explore gaps in local provision and how to address these.
- be able to consider how to effectively and sustainably engage with girls, their families and communities.
- have gained confidence in dealing with cases of FGM.